Saturday, May 28, 2005

Internet Love Story

I think this is a great story on how I met Jeff. I was hanging out with my friend Brian, and he was online allot on dating sites. He would have some luck here and there. It allways seemed that he was getting email or chatting with people. I thought what the heck why not try it. Iwas a bit leary of meeting people through the internet. I figured I did not have to meet anyone. I just thought I would test the waters, cast a line out there and see if I could get any bites. I looked at a few different dating sites Yahoo Personals, Lavalife, and even a coulpe Jewish Singles sites. I decsided to put an ad out on a few different ones....why not maybe with my ad on a few different places I'll have better luick.

Writing the ad was the easy part. It was easy because I did not take the whole internet dating thing too seriously. I really wish now that I kept that ad( oh,well if wishes were.......) anyways. In the ad I just wrote exactly what I wanted (wow, what a concept!) I can't remember word forword what it said but it had some of therse elements in it:
-I want to meet someone creative, that enjoys the outdoors, bathes daily and is sick of playing mind games. I know the last paragraph said something like I want to be swept off my feet and fall in love. I threw a Thing in about I want to meet my best friend and lover. I just thought what the heck, ask for what I want. I put the ad on a few different sites, Lavalife seemed to have the most responses...which was not very many. I think I actually responed to maybe five people on Lavalife(they emailed me first, I never approched spomeone first)
Jeff was one the peolpe that responed to me. We chatted quite a few times on Yahoo instant messanger. Then I gave him my "real" email address and we exchanged allot of emails. In the email process I learned that he was a letter carrier in East Bloomington. I told him that I lived in East Bloomington, I did not give him my address. He said that he problaly has delivered my mail. After a few emails an several instant messages he gave me his phone number. I gathered up my nerve and gave him a call. The first time I called him he was on his route , but had some time to chat. Within the first minute of talking to him I felt comfortable, he was very easy to talk to and had me laughing non-stop. We talked for about twenty minutes and agreed that we would like to talk to each other again soon.


Over the next couple days we emailed, chatted online and had a couple phone calls thrown in. I was really starting to really want to meet this guy. One evening I called him I called him and we wond up talking for NINE hours. Yes, folks you heard that right, NINE HOURS!! We talked about everthing imaginable, and we kept having "wow, it's a small world moments". The best was when he was talking about his job and working in East Bloomington. I once again mentioned that I lived in east Bloomington, He asked "where?" I figured that I could give him my address (I still had not told him my real name) and just leave out my apartment #(still being cautuious) I told him the address and he cuckled and said " I deliver your mail!" I was floored..."no, way, this is too wild" I said. He asked what apartment I was in, I told him, and right away he rattled off "my real name" (remember I had not told him hy real name) Wow, I met my Mailman on the internet....too funny. We both got a good laugh out of that. We kept chatting away....I told him that I was In St. Louis Park house and dog sitting for my parents. He asked me if I grew up in St. Louis Park and did I graduate from Park. (small world conicedance, number two comming up) I replied "yes" and "yes". He said that he only one other person from St. Louis Park and that was "Laurie L.". My jaw dropped just for a second and then it retracted up so I could form the words "no fricking way!!" I graduated with Laurie and she was one of my good friends. Jeff worked with her and was good friends withher for a few years.
All of my leariness of meeting someone on the really started to fade after learnig these coinsondinces. The thing I rember the most about the whole conversation is I can not remember ever laughing that much and clicking with someone that fast. Ther were some very strong wonderful vibes going on. Twoards the end of the conversation (at about 3:00 A.M.) Iwas startig to fell like...WOW, I thinking that I could fall in love with this man in a hertbeat. We just had alott in common and have the same warped sense of hummor. When we started to wrap thing up on the phone, we desided that we have got to meet...that day. We set up plans to meet for dinner for that night. We were saying our goodbyes on the phone and Jeff said "do you think it is possible to fall in love with someone over the phone?" Oh my god, the man I have not even met yet just said what I was thinking. Of course I replied "yes". We bid each other sweet dreams and said our goobyes. I really did not want to hang up, but it was 3 am and the bottle of wine that I had opened at the begining of the evening had somehow mystreisly dissapeared...yup, it was time for beddies.


When I woke that moring....or actually it was closer to afternoon (ugh!) I was moving pretty slow but the anticpaction of meeting maybe the man of my dreams was enough to get me out of bed and moving. I can not tell you all the thoughts rushing through my mind that afternoon. I was terrified to meet him, because right now he was the perfect man ...everything I have wanted and dreamed of. I was happy in my fantsy land. I tried to make myself snap back into reality and just try to look at it as , cool I am meeting someone that I had a great conversation with and we could become good friends and then see what happens. Okay like I said I tried to play it off like it was no big deal....and that lasted maybe five minutes! Nope, could not get my self to chill and look at it realistically....Let's go the pressure route. This is my perfect man,things must work out, everything just seems perfect.

Time to meet him for dinner....eek! Driving to the restruant was one of the most nerve racking experiences for me, and the drive was only five minutes. My thoughts were racing, heartbeating and oh, shit I think I'm starting to sweat!!! I think i smoked at least three ciggertes on the way there (don't worry I quit smoking a few months ago But that will be another post) Finally I drove into the restruant parking lot, found a car that matced jeffs discripion and parked right behind it (can you say my heart is pounding very hard...in my throat!) I got out of the car and walked up to the driver's side as soosn as I got there Jeff poped out of the car. We gave each other a hug and and an awalkward kiss. We got into the restraunt and were seated, I was very nervous. Poor, Jeff had had a migrain all day and still felt like crap. Jeff was still feeling sick and really was not that hungry, he tried to choke down some soup but gave up on that. Our dinner experience lasted about an hour I think due to the fact that Jeff was still ill. We said our goodbyes and said next time we meet it will have to be when he was feeling better. I got in my car and my nerves were shot.... I did not see the fireworks that were suppose to be there when I met Jeff. I'm not sure what it was but I did not feel like we clicked as well in person as we did on the phone. Like I said my nerves were shot so on the way home I desided to stop at my neighborhood bar and get a drink. At the bar I ran into my friend Shane I got my drink and sat down with him. I told him that I had just gone out on a date whith a guy I met on the net. Shane asked me how it went and I responded with "he really is not my type" (boy will that phrase come back yo haunt me).


The next day I went online, I figured I had to let Jeff know that I did not thik it was going to work out. I had no idea what I was going to say to him, I really did not want to hurt his feelings. I got online and Jeff was online. He right away shot me off a sweet I.M. He was going to make it difficult for me. I think we chatted for a bit then I think he asked when we could see each other again. Urgh...I had to tell him. Im'm not sure what I excatly said...but I know I did use the phrase "not my type" somewhere in there. As soon as I sent that message, I could almost feel the scilence in the air. There was no response from him for a few minutes. Finally he responded with a smiple "O.K" I could just tell that he was not very happy and I did feel really bad becasuse he is a nice person.

I kept on thinking about Jeff and how well we did seem to hit it off on the phone. He really could make me laugh and we had wonderful conversations. Everytime I went online and see he was on, I would always shoot him a note. I thought well atleast he dosen't hate me he's still talking to me. As I chatted to him more, I really started to regregt blowing him off, thought I should give him another chance.

A couple days befor Christmas I was chatting with him online. I asked him what he was doing for Christmas. He replied "nothing". "What do you mean nothing? How can you spend Christmas alone?" I asked. He said that it was no big deal and that he might stop by his mom's house for a bit. That did not set right with me at all no one should have to be alone on Xmas. Being the kind hearted person that I am, and actually starting to fall for the guy (again) I asked if he would like any company on Xmas day. I had plans to spend xmas eve with my brother and sister in law and a good paart of xmas day with them. I asked him if he would like some company on xmas day night. He said "sure that would be nice".

I spent Chrismas eve with my brother and his family. We rented a hoptel room and had allot of fun. Xmas day was also spent with my brother. I called Jeff in the late aftternoon to make sure we were still on for that evening. Yup, all systems were still go! I was going to meet him around 8:00 p.m at his house (he lives in Lakeville about twom miles from my brothers house)
I was getting ready to leave Joel's house (my bro) and then we desided to watch the video tape of X-mas eve at the hotel. I called Jeff and told him I would be about a half and hour late. He said "no, problem". We watched the video tape...vey funny. and then I called Jeff and told him that I was leaving my brothers house. Like I said it was only a two mile drive and should have only taken my about five minutes. It really was basically a straifght shot.....but then we are talking about me here. I guess my mind was in la la land when Jeff gave me directions, and when my sister-in-law actually walked me outside and showed me which road I needed to take. Yes, indeed...I got lost. I was driving all around Lakeville and it was getting close to thirty minutes since I left Joel & Lisa's house. This was before I had a cell phone, so I could not call Jeff and tell him I was running late. I started to panic. Number one I did not want Jeff to think I was standing him up and number two I had no clue where I was. I finally found my way back to the area where my Borothers house was and found the road that I needed to be on. Within five minutes I was at Jeff's.

He met me at the door, right away I apologized for being so late. He said that he was really starting to worry that something had happened to me on the way over. I think we gave each other a hug and a quick kiss. I right away felt at ease...this time meeting him there was a definate spark. He took me on the tour of his apartment. The first thing that I noticed was a definate lighthouse theme. Lighthouses everywhere, lighthouse pictres, lighthouse rugs you name it and he had it with a lighthouse theme. I thought it was very cool. He explained that he likes lighthouse becasue they are a becon of hope. He was showing me some pictures of him on the wall There was one that caught my eye instantaly, it was of him and a buddy in a cut out characture of cowboys (the kind where it has a cut out to stick your face through) I looked at that and almost screamed "oh my god...that is at The Rustler's Roost in Airzonia, I've been there!" Jeff confirmed that yes it was The Rustler's roost (by the way it is a restraunt) I have the exact same picture of Connee and I in the cut outs. I just could not believe it. We spen the night drinking wine, talking and laughing allot. As I sat there that night I thought to myself....what the hell was I thinking...."he's not my type" ! There was such a strong connection between us, I already was in love with this man. I never quite made it home that night. In the morning Jeff woke me up wiyh breakfast in bed (actally it was more like 'brunch") He made egg foo young from scratch. I was blown away. Jeff spent about twenty years working in restraunts, doing everything from cooking to General manager. I loved it ....wonderful breakfast in bed, god, I felt like I was still dreaming.
We hung out the rest of the day and had an awesome time. I had plans to meet some friends that night. As hard as it was I pulled my self away so I could go meet my friends. It was so hard to leave, I knew that I was aready in love with him and he felt the same way. Before I left I said to him "I'm going to marry you" and he replied "I know" Talk about seeing fireworks and having your heart beat. I left his house and I was on cloud nine, I'm not even sure how I got home (thank god my car knew the way home) As soon as I walked into my house the phone rang, It was Jeff. He was just calling to tell me how blow away he was by me and how wonderful I was. we talked for a little over an hour then I had to go meet my friends. When I got home that night Jeffhad called and left a couple really sweet messages. I just sat on my couch in my dream world. Wow, I can't believe I met the man of my dreams. He is everything that I have wanted in a person. I just sat in awe the rest of the night.
The next day we talked to each other a few times on the phone. Both of us could not wait to see each other again. We made plans to meet for dinner. Jeff took me out for a wonderful Italian dinner. He treated me like a queen. I spent the night at his apartment, and never left!
From that night on I did not want to spend a night without him. I pretty much just started to move in the next day. I knew it was seriouis when I brought over my pillow. That was about five months ago and it gets better and better each day. Yup....good thing he is not my type!

2 Comments:

Blogger shirley said...

first, thanks for readling my blog. i agree that is a wonderful piece of writing that i had to copy to my blog. =)

i'm also happy to read your blog as well. learning that you've met the right man, there's nothing more can be joyful than that for a girl!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Picasso Girl said...

Finally after years of kissing frogs, I have met my prince

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home