Birthday Tent
I had a wonderful birthday this year. I got to do what I love with the man I love (get your minds out of the gutter). We went camping at "the woods". We left Friday afternoon and got to Birchwood around 3:30. Jeff started in on fire building & cooking duty. I started to set up my brand new tent that I bought for myself for my birthday...that’s were I started to run into problems.
I have been camping most of my life, I am not new to it, and I have set up several different kinds of tent in my day. I just wanted to clarify that I am not a rookie.....but I did make a bad rookie mistake.
I bought a tent, and did not open it up and make sure everything was there and in working order before we left. OOPS! When I started to set it up at the "woods" I was pretty happy, it looked like an easy set-up. I thought to myself, no, problem I’ll have this baby up in less than ten minutes....two hours later the tent was still not set up.
Tent problem #1
One of the tent poles was missing a very important metal part the kept the pole straight. We tried many different methods to solve our problem. After an hour of trail and error, the winning soulton was plasitc knifes and duct tape (thank god for duct tape) we did a pretty good job of getting the tent standing and almost looking like it should.
Tent problem #2
The biggest problem with cheap tents.....plain and smiply LEAKS. We got some rain and quickly learned that the tent leaks, not bad but none the less who wants a tent that leaks.
Tent problem #3
The zippers got caught every (yes, EVERY) time we tried to zip it. The best was when I had to take a late night vist to the woods, when I came back and tried to zip up the tent the zipper broke off!!! It’s wonderful (said in a very sarcastic tone) when your half asleep and have had a couple glasses of wine to try to figure out how to get the tent door shut so you won’t wake up with a racoon sharing your sleeping bag. I fiddled around with it in the dark for a bout twenty minutes. I was just going to say "screw it" and leave it open.....but instead of doing that.... I woke up Jeff and he fixed it with clamps and clothes pins. Come to think of it duct tape would have helped
too.
Okay, enough of the tent rantings. Lesson learned...when it comes to tents don’t go with a cheap Target brand tent. Spend the extra money and go with a brand name. I did know this, but money is really tight and thought I could save us a few bucks. Always make sure that you set up the tent (or atleast check all the parts) before you go camping.
I have been camping most of my life, I am not new to it, and I have set up several different kinds of tent in my day. I just wanted to clarify that I am not a rookie.....but I did make a bad rookie mistake.
I bought a tent, and did not open it up and make sure everything was there and in working order before we left. OOPS! When I started to set it up at the "woods" I was pretty happy, it looked like an easy set-up. I thought to myself, no, problem I’ll have this baby up in less than ten minutes....two hours later the tent was still not set up.
Tent problem #1
One of the tent poles was missing a very important metal part the kept the pole straight. We tried many different methods to solve our problem. After an hour of trail and error, the winning soulton was plasitc knifes and duct tape (thank god for duct tape) we did a pretty good job of getting the tent standing and almost looking like it should.
Tent problem #2
The biggest problem with cheap tents.....plain and smiply LEAKS. We got some rain and quickly learned that the tent leaks, not bad but none the less who wants a tent that leaks.
Tent problem #3
The zippers got caught every (yes, EVERY) time we tried to zip it. The best was when I had to take a late night vist to the woods, when I came back and tried to zip up the tent the zipper broke off!!! It’s wonderful (said in a very sarcastic tone) when your half asleep and have had a couple glasses of wine to try to figure out how to get the tent door shut so you won’t wake up with a racoon sharing your sleeping bag. I fiddled around with it in the dark for a bout twenty minutes. I was just going to say "screw it" and leave it open.....but instead of doing that.... I woke up Jeff and he fixed it with clamps and clothes pins. Come to think of it duct tape would have helped
too.
Okay, enough of the tent rantings. Lesson learned...when it comes to tents don’t go with a cheap Target brand tent. Spend the extra money and go with a brand name. I did know this, but money is really tight and thought I could save us a few bucks. Always make sure that you set up the tent (or atleast check all the parts) before you go camping.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home